Friday, March 22, 2013

An Appeal to the Academy.

I love the Oscars, I love the glitz and glamor and of course the Films. However, one thing which I do not understand is the fact that there is not an Oscar for Best Trailer. Because in my opinion the best part about going to the cinema is the trailers. And I know there are tons of people who agree with me. The trailer is such a powerful part of the movie as it excites you and entices you. It is a powerful marketing tool. Posters make you aware of the film and intrigue you, but the trailer seals the deal. It can either make or break the movie.
While some people complain that the trailer gives away the entire thing, or that all the best parts are in the trailer, it makes you wonder what the editor is supposed to do? They need to satisfy the Film makers and producers as well as audiences and of course the Hollywood standard of making it accessible to everyone 'including slow Joe in the back row'. So they need to show you bits of what the movie is about, as well as show something that is worth watching.
That is probably why I love watching the trailers as sometimes it is better than the film itself. And there are definitely those trailers which are pure art, most notably the first trailer for the US version of 'The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo', that trailer was mind-blowingly amazing! See here. Trailer So I appeal to the Academy to consider making 'Best Trailer' into an award category, I think people would agree with me, and perhaps it might make some trailers better as it would up the ante.

And here is a teaser trailer, which I think is pretty good, for those who haven't seen this yet, it's 'The Bling Ring'. 

Link

No comments:

Post a Comment